Monday, March 26, 2012

Thanks, But No Thanks to Big Erasers.


I think this is the biggest eraser I’ve ever seen. I found this one few months ago in a bookstore. I grabbed it at once (and took a picture of it with my smartphone. ) I wasn't sure if I'd need it. That's why I didn't buy it.

But a little voice inside my head kept whispering like “don’t you wish that you could erase away all the mistakes you made in your life with this pink rubber eraser?”

Hmmm …. Well, ofcourse , don’t we all? We hope that wrong decisions, inappropriate reactions or unintentional bad actions are mistakes that could be wiped out in one sweep. Like as if it never happened, right?

Whenever we make an unwise decision, it may be a failure in a relationship, a bad choice of words, a wrong career path or may be as trivial as wrong brand of clothes softener, we always say with regret that “I should’ve done this or I should’ve done that instead”.

We blame ourselves or better yet, do everyone’s favorite thing to do, blame others. In my case, I blame others less but do the opposite more. I beat myself up spending sleepless nights with what-in-the-world-was-I-thinking?!

Until my unconscious miscalculation keeps on niggling at the back of my mind as I over analyze things or situations that I could’ve done better.

Ok I’m guilty because what I’m doing ( blaming myself) is not far better than blaming others. Although I’ve to say that blaming others is more fun than blaming myself.

However, on a hindsight, mistakes happen for a reason. It makes our perspective wider when we look into other directions for possible options to rectify what we’ve done wrong. In the same vein as, this brings us down to our knees and seek God’s guidance seriously ( knowing that the bigger the blunder, the more serious we are with our prayers, right?) so He could show us a lesson or two that He intends us to learn from it.

In other words, making mistakes should be perceived more as a boon than a bane since it molds us and fortifies our character with strength, resiliency and humility.


So, who needs big erasers anyway? Well, for sure, I don’t.

How about you?

No comments: